As the name suggests, SIM cards are used for phones. However, they can also be used in laptops with a little bit of work. This blog post will teach you how to do just that!
If you have a computer without an embedded modem or wireless card, then yes, you can insert your phone’s SIM card into the slot on the side of your machine and connect to the internet that way. But most modern laptops come with their own modems built-in already so there won’t be any space for another one – unless it’s specifically designed to take two SIM cards at once.
A SIM card needs a GSM circuit to use its basic features, such as making voice calls or using data packets. If you have HP EliteBook or Xiaomi Mi Notebook Air 4G, then you can insert the SIM card into your computer’s USB port and use it. The best option is to use the USB Data Adapter with a Desktop.
For using the Internet using a modem or a DTH with a SIM Card; the modem or router company will give you the DTH or Model with the sim card slot attached which you can use on your Desktop or Laptop or any other USB supported devices.
Step By Step Guide To Installing SIM Card As New Hardware On Laptop
1. Find the SIM card slot on your laptop (HP Elitebook or Mi Notebook).
2. Insert the SIM card into the slot with gold contacts facing up.
3. Push down gently until you hear a click and then pull back to secure it in place.
4. Make sure that your laptop is turned off before inserting the SIM card.
5. Turn on your laptop; wait for Windows to detect new hardware, and follow prompts for setup.
6. Follow any additional instructions given by Microsoft or other manufacturers of laptops.
Step By Step Guide To Installing SIM Card Using BIOS Settings On Laptop
1. Use a SIM card extractor to remove the SIM card from your phone.
2. Insert the SIM card into your laptop’s SIM slot.
3. Turn on your laptop and enter BIOS settings by pressing “F2” or “F8”.
4. Select “Set up new hardware” from the list of options, then select “No, I want to set this device up myself.”
5. Select Network Adapter Settings and hit Enter on the keyboard.
6. Under “Select a connection type” scroll down until you see “SIM Card Reader” and select that option.
7. You are done!
10 Reasons For Using A SIM Card On A Laptop
1. There are many benefits of using a SIM card on a laptop. One such benefit is that it can be used as a mobile hotspot for up to 10 devices at the same time. It saves money and data as people do not need an additional carrier plan or mobile hotspots for each device they want to connect to the internet with.
2. A Sim card also offers unlimited international roaming in over 200 countries, with no extra charges. Another benefit is that you can use your phone number and all your contacts will work without any changes needed.
3. If you are traveling, the data usage will be lower with this option as well. You can also save money by avoiding roaming charges when traveling outside of your country.
4. This allows you to connect to the internet through your mobile phone network rather than using Wi-Fi or other networks.
5. You can get cheaper data rates when using a SIM card on your laptop, as often the cost of data usage is included in the monthly fee for having a mobile contract.
6. If you are traveling abroad, it means you don’t need to buy local sim cards – just use one from home.
7. It’s easier and more convenient than carrying around multiple devices while traveling e.g., phone, tablet, laptop.
8. Some laptops come with built-in support for inserting a SIM card so there’s no need for any additional equipment or software e.g., Lenovo Ideapad 300s-14ARR (Intel Core i5 8250U 1 6GHz) 14″ FHD IPS Touchscreen Laptop PC w/ 256GB SSD + 8GB RAM & Windows 10 Home 64bit English International Version.
9. You can use your laptop to make phone calls.
10. You can easily switch between networks without having to change SIM cards.