No, Facebook does not provide a built-in feature to filter your friend list based on location. However, you can use the search bar to find friends who live in a specific state or city. To do this, follow these steps:
- Open Facebook and go to your News Feed.
- In the search bar at the top of the page, type “Friends in [state or city]” and press Enter.
- Facebook will show you a list of your friends who live in the specified location.
- You can use the location filter to filter your Facebook friend list to show friends from a specific state.
- The location filter option will allow you to narrow your search to a particular state or city, increasing your chances of finding your friends.
- You can use the Facebook mobile app, a Web browser, or update your city from a mobile phone or a computer to search for Facebook friends in a specific state or city.
- If Facebook users decide against listing their current city, the location filter can’t find them.
- If friends of friends you are searching for uses privacy settings to mask people on their friend list, you might fail to find your friends.
Ways of Finding Your Facebook Friend List by State
You could be moving to a different state or city and want to connect with your old friends. In such a scenario, the location filter search can enable you to find an older friend who can help you adapt to your new surroundings.
The location filter option lets you narrow the search and quickly find friends in a specific city. This is because the search will only show the users living in that particular region of interest. It becomes easier to search for friends by state when you know the city where they stay.
Here are the three main ways to filter your Facebook friend list to find users from a particular state:
- Finding your friends via the Facebook mobile app.
- Finding your friends via a Web browser on a computer.
- Updating your city.
1. Using the Facebook Mobile App to Find Facebook Friends
Using the Facebook mobile app to search for your friends by state is a straightforward task. Here is how to go about it;
- Download, Install, and Open the Facebook App: Suppose you don’t have the Facebook app; the first step is to download it from Apple Store or Google store.Install the app and open it by tapping the Facebook icon (a blue icon with an “f” in lowercase).
- Assuming you are opening the Facebook app for the first time, you must sign up with an email ID/phone number and a strong password known only to you.
- Go to the search bar at the top of the screen (upper-right corner), Tap it, enter the city name, e.g., Miami, Florida, and press enter from the keyboard. The result will display several pages related to your city of interest.
- Navigate to the “People” tab and tap it. (The people tab is the third one from the left-hand side at the top of your device’s screen). The result will show the people you know from that specific city.
Note: Your Facebook friends will be displayed at the top, while those who aren’t your friends will have a blue button below their names with the caption, “Add Friend.” You can opt to ignore viewing your friends but search for additional ones by searching for “friends of friends.” To broaden the scope of your search.
- You can also try to search for friends in a different city by clicking the two slider bars-like icons at the top right corner of your screen.
2. Finding Facebook Friends in a Specific State Using a Web Browser Option (Computer)
If you prefer using a computer, you can filter the search for your Facebook friend list to show friends in a particular city using a Web browser. Below is how to search;
- Open your browser and go to https://www.facebook.com.
- Enter your login credentials and the password to log in.
- Click your name to open your profile page.
- Scroll to your friends and click it to open the list of friends.
- Go to the search bar at the top and enter the city’s name, e.g., Miami, Florida.
- Press the enter tab, and a list of pages related to your target city will be displayed.
- Navigate to the “People” tab, and a list of people you may know in that particular city will be displayed.
3. Update Your City and Search without a Name
Another way to search for a Facebook friend by location is to ensure that you update your current city to be the same as the one your friend is staying.
Here is how to update your city details:
- Go to your Facebook profile page.
- Select the “Edit Details” option.
- Select “Add Current City.”
After updating your city, Facebook will display people from that city with who you share mutual friends or those under “Friends Suggestions.”
You should note that in this method, you don’t need to search for friends by their names. You only need to tap the “Find Friends” option, and the people you share mutual friends with will display at the top of the list.
Note: The above methods can enable you to filter your search for friends in specific states, but they also have their flaws. For instance, if Facebook users decide against listing their current state or city, the location filter can’t find them.
Challenges to Finding Friends from Specific States Via Location Filter Method
The friends of friends you are trying to search for might be a barrier blocking you from accessing the one friend you wish to find on Facebook. This might happen when friends of friends restrict who sees their entire list.
The blocking is usually done via the privacy settings, which mask the identity of some friends from others. Sometimes, your friend might not be hiding people on their friend list but instead protecting their privacy by preventing others from seeing who they are connected with online.
Hello, I’m Herman C. Miller, the founder of InternetPKG.com, your ultimate destination for all things Mobile Internet and Telecommunication Services. With a BSc in Telecommunication Services and over 6 years at AT&T, my passion for the industry led to this platform. At InternetPKG.com, we prioritize keeping you informed with the latest package offers, ensuring our content stays current. Our team, including a dedicated Internet Package and Mobile Data Plans Researcher, tirelessly researches emerging trends, identifies market opportunities, and provides expert product recommendations.